Tuesday, January 24, 2006

All for a rupee!!!

I head to the office in the same manner as any other working day. In one of the busiest junctions along the way, I stop waiting for the signal. I see 3 urchins trying to earn a quick buck by cleaning the wind screens of the cars at the junction. Needless to say, one of them turns up at my car, and without even asking for my permission, goes ahead with his work - the work of cleaning the windscreen on my car. I try to threaten by saying ‘Hey!!! Hey!!!’, but to no avail. I get to understand that this guy is not going to listen to my words. So, instead of trying to make a fuss of the issue, I stay quite, relenting quite unwillingly. One must admit, that he wasn’t bad at the job. My windscreen wasn’t clean earlier. So the change was pretty evident. Finally, he lands by my side, asking for a rupee. Unable to say no, I give him a rupee!!! This is my version of the ‘Swades’ episode. I realise at that moment that poverty can make you do anything – be it constructive or destructive!!!
Hey, the signal’s green!!! I need to push forward!!!

1 Comments:

At Friday, March 09, 2007 11:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has happened to me too! It's a double-dilemma - try as you might you can't stop them from their job, and you can't even refrain from paying ... sorry state of affairs our country is in ... and they dare to talk of all the 'best billionnaires' and 'many millionnaires' that 'brand India' is producing!! Have we lost our sight, willingly?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home